Provided hardware and software systems solutions and support including hardware and software selection; network installation, configuration, and troubleshooting; and customized software development for various clients both in Sri Lanka and across the globe. Worked on a variety of remote projects with various clients around the world and always delivered results successfully and on time.
Systems Analysis and Design
Provided comprehensive analysis of needs for various solutions like payroll, inventory control, general ledger, helpdesk, and support systems, etc. for major corporations as well as for individual clients. Created systems designs and database structures that were utilized both by myself and others to create a software solution.
Coded and troubleshot software applications in a variety of computer languages including XBase, Perl, Delphi, Java, PHP, Ruby, C/C++, C#, ActionScript (Adobe AIR) and Objective-C (iPhone) based on my systems analysis and design as well as systems designs done by others. Contributed code to several open source projects and worked remotely as part of several software development teams. Mentored junior developers and oversaw the development of several projects as project manager.
Managed corporate LANs as well as Linux and Windows servers at several web hosting companies in VPS, non-VPS, and shared hosting environments. Installed and configured VPS servers; compiled and installed various Linux applications such as Apache, PHP, mySQL, and security utilities. Managed load balancing of servers as well as end-user troubleshooting and responding to customer helpdesk tickets.
Managed teams from two to 10+ people in various different projects including software development, television production, and newspaper publishing. Mentored team members, managed project timelines, attended management briefings, and generally ensured that the projects were on schedules and that deliverables were met.
Editor of a national gadgets magazine, script editor for a television production company which broadcasts its programs over most of South Asia, and editor of peace pages for three national newspapers in three languages (English, Sinhala, Tamil). Edited various corporate and business materials (including reports, white papers, and brochures). Experienced in copyediting, content editing, style editing, and proofreading.
Professional writer for well over a decade with experience in magazine, newspaper, business, and script writing. Author of over 200 articles in seven national publications.
Business and Corporate Writing
Developer, writer, editor, and designer of a wide range of business materials including brochures, newsletters, and annual reports.
Developer, writer, editor, and designer of a range of technical materials including software user manuals and help files.
Internet, HTML, and Desktop Publishing
Red Ferret Journal,
Solipsistic Meanderings, and
C3 Labs. Familiar with HTML, XML, CSS, PHP, Java, Ruby on Rails, mySQL, etc., as well as web design/development tools such as Dreamweaver and PhotoShop. Familiar with several desktop publishing programs for both electronic and print publishing, including InDesign CS2
CS3, InCopy, PageMaker, Quark Express, and Microsoft Publisher.
Freelance Software Developer and IT Consultant - January 2007 to present
- Created over 30 (at present) iPhone applications both under own company and for clients. These include several AR (augmented reality applications) as well as applications for social networking (Twitter, RSS, podcasts etc.), kids games, financial applications, and utilities.
- Recommended, installed, and trouble-shot hardware and software to meet the requirements of clients.
- Wrote customized software packages to fulfil client data processing needs in FoxPro, ASP, PHP, Ruby, C#, and Delphi using Oracle, mySQL, and SQL Server as the backend databases.
- Worked closely with personnel from Lanka Internet Services (Pvt) Ltd., the first ISP in Sri Lanka, on establishing Internet connectivity in Sri Lanka and promoting Internet services via media and at public presentations (back in 1994).
Freelance Writer and Editor - January 1994 to present
- Editor from its inception, provide editorial and creative direction for C3, the first completely Sri Lankan gadgets-related magazine. Plan content and sections. Oversee layout and design. Hire and manage freelance writers. Responsible for copy editing (spelling, punctuation, grammar), style editing (to conform to C3 magazine's in-house style), and content editing (clarity, flow, organization, and meaning). Review digital and print proofs. Write the editorial in addition to columns, articles, reviews, and other content as needed.
- Worked with a major BPO service provider in Sri Lanka to write, edit and design their brochures and other company documentation including project proposals, company profile, website content, etc.
- Wrote technical documentation, user manuals and in-depth descriptions for various client application suites including a contact centre application, an ERP package, and a subscriber management system (SMS).
- Wrote and edited product brochures and user manuals for customers including detailed documentation for a Singapore-based global company launching their new product range aimed at the broadcast sector.
- Wrote regular articles about Sri Lanka, its history, culture, and people for Travel Sri Lanka magazine.
- Wrote various articles, reports, and press releases for clients.
- Edited a weekly page about the ongoing peace process produced in the English, Tamil, and Sinhalese languages for three major newspapers published in Sri Lanka.
- Wrote a column on electronics and gadgets for Adoh!, a popular monthly magazine in Sri Lanka.
- Wrote a column on leisure activities in and around Colombo, Sri Lanka for Urban Brown, a monthly magazine in Sri Lanka.
- Wrote a computer education related column, The Cyberian, for the Mirror Magazine of The Sunday Times, a leading weekend paper in Sri Lanka.
- Wrote a weekly column, Off My Bookshelf, for the Mirror Magazine of The Sunday Times in Sri Lanka.
- Wrote a feature column, CyberBabble, for the PC Quest magazine issued with the Midweek Mirror.
Shift Supervisor, PowerVPS, Virginia, USA - August 2005 to December 2006
- Monitored servers, balanced loads, and rebooted servers when necessary.
- Answered customer support tickets: solved various control panel issues for cPanel, Plesk, DirectAdmin, and Webmin based servers in a Virutozzo VPS environment under Linux.
- Moved accounts between servers and handled backups when necessary.
- Handled various tickets for customers using Plesk for Windows under a Virtuozzo VPS environment under Windows.
- Monitored, managed, and troubleshot Windows virtual servers either without a control panel or running Plesk for Windows under Microsoft Virtual Server 2005.
- Compiled, configured, and troubleshot software according to customer requirements.
- Handled tickets escalated to management as well as dealt with tickets considered difficult by other techs.
- Trained new technicians on the PowerVPS procedures and methodologies.
Junior Remote Systems Administrator, Lunarpages, California, USA - October 2004 to July 2005
- Monitored servers and balanced server loads for optimal performance.
- Answered customer trouble tickets.
Senior Producer/Special Projects Coordinator, Young Asia Television, Pelawatta, Sri Lanka - February 2002 to October 2004
- Managed teams in charge of producing the content for the company web site on various programmes developed by the company and being in charge of overall editorial responsibility for the content.
- Managed a team in charge of developing promotional material and trailers for the various programmes produced by the company.
- Managed three separate teams involved in producing a weekly page each for leading newspapers in the English, Sinhalese, and Tamil languages.
- Managed a team of 10+ members involved in producing a weekly television programme Young Outlook and ensured that production continued smoothly and on schedule.
- Managed the IT department and responsible for hardware/software purchases.
- Developed special systems required by management for day-to-day operations.
- Developed TV spots promoting IT for ICTA, the Information and Communication Technology Agency of Sri Lanka. Created the concept, wrote the scripts, created music concepts, created concepts for graphics, directed and sat through editing process, and pitched and sold ICTA on the concept.
Senior Developer, American Communications Network (ACN), Michigan, USA - October 2000 to January 2002
- Developed, maintained, and troubleshot existing systems using FoxPro, Visual FoxPro, and Vantive.
- Mentored and managed junior developers.
- Designed, developed, and maintained new systems using a mix of Vantive, Java, and Oracle.
- Managed an installation of BEA Tuxedo server and maintained/added interfaces to it.
Software Consultant, Computer Consultants Inc. – ACN, Michigan, USA - July 1999 to September 2000
- Placed by Computer Consultants Inc. to work with American Communications Network (ACN).
- Developed, maintained, and troubleshot existing systems using FoxPro and Visual FoxPro.
- Provided management information via reporting tools.
- Developed, deployed, and maintained new systems using FoxPro, Visual FoxPro, and Vantive.
Software Consultant / Web Developer, Datamatics Consultants Inc., Georgia, USA - November 1997 to June 1999
- Developed graphical front-ends for several corporate databases using Jade, a rapid application development tool for Java.
- Developed and maintained the company web site at www.dciusa.com (project was stopped at the initial stage itself to make me available for other work) which involved a dynamically generated report accessing internal databases using ODBC and PERL.
- Maintained ADP payroll system and provision of reports using Crystal Reports.
- Provided software and hardware support and troubleshooting for company personnel.
- Set up and maintained Internet server using Microsoft IIS and e-mail server based on IMail.
- Interfaced with systems such as PeachTree and ADP to provide management reports.
Television Producer, Computer Systems Administrator, Young Asia Television (YA*TV), Colombo, Sri Lanka - September 1995 to October 1997
- Wrote the script for and produced a social issues-based television programme Space to Let.
- Wrote scripts for another weekly magazine programme, YA Tribe.
- Scripted and produced a weekly documentary-based magazine programme called I Zone.
- Managed the research department and ensured that all programmes received requested research in a timely and efficient manner.
- Managed and controlled Internet and e-mail access for the company.
- Managed network security and connectivity as well as troubleshooting.
- Advised management on hardware and software purchases.
- Produced computer graphics used in several of the programmes produced by me.
- Developed in-house programs using Visual FoxPro to meet various monitoring and inventory needs.
Product Manager, OpenArc Systems Management (Pvt) Ltd., Colombo, Sri Lanka - December 1993 to December 1994
- Handled customer relations and PR work.
- Oversaw the work done by programmers assigned to several projects.
- Talked to customers, gathered their requirements, and created systems designs to meet customer needs.
- Installed software and trained personnel both at work and at client sites.
- Handled the troubleshooting of installed projects/code at various customer sites.
Computer Programmer, Food & Fine Pastries Mfg. Co. Ltd., Jeddah, Saudi Arabia - September 1992 to October 1993
- Designed, developed, and maintained management information systems.
- Maintained an off-the-shelf GL package written in Oracle for a Xenix environment.
- Maintained an already-developed inventory and sales control system written in BASIC.
Senior Analyst, Datamation Systems (Pvt) Ltd., Colombo, Sri Lanka - March 1991 to August 1992
- Designed, developed, and maintained customized software packages.
- Was involved in customer relations and presentations.
- Trained personnel in software packages utilized in-house.
- Advised management on software packages and books purchases.
Instructor, National Institute of Business Management, Colombo, Sri Lanka - January 1991 to February 1991
- Instructed and trained students in DOS, Windows, Netware, Lotus, DBase, WordStar, and other application packages.
2000 - Trained in the Vantive development environment by
PeopleSoft (then Vantive)
1999 - Perl refresher course.
1998 - Java rapid application techniques using JADE (now
1998 - Certificate in
Payroll system usage and administration.
1990 - Diploma in Computer Systems Design
Average marks 85 (Distinction) - from the National Institute of Business Management, Colombo, Sri Lanka.
1984 - 1988 - St. Thomas' College, Bandarawela
General Certificate in Education - Advanced Level (1988) – 3 Passes
General Certificate in Education - Ordinary Level (1985) – 6 Distinctions 2 Credits
BEA Tuxedo Server
- Rapid Application Development environment, JADE (now
- Java development IDE,
- Java development IDE,
from Sun Microsystems,
, Microsoft FoxPro and
Internet Information Server (IIS)
Visual Studio .NET
Ruby on Rails
- Rapid Application Development environment for corporate databases such as Oracle and SyBase,
MS SQL Server
Alias Wavefront Maya
Avid Media Composer
, Fast VideoMachine editing software, Turbo C, Borland C++,
Windows 7, Windows Vista
, Windows 3.1.
, Fedora, CentOS, Ubuntu.
DOS - MS DOS (3.3 - 6.22),
7.5 - OS X.
2.0 - 3.0 (Warp).
2.x - 4.x.
- English - Fluent
- Sinhala - Fluent
- Tamil - Intermediate
- Hindi - Intermediate
- Arabic - Rudimentary
Interviewed on television (for broadcast on a national network) regarding new trends in IT in the coming years with focus on mobile devices and notebook computers.
- Participated in a chat programme on television (broadcast on national television) regarding Web 2.0 and its impact on society.
- Interviewed in my position as Editor for C3 magazine for an article that appeared in The Sunday Times
- Interviewed Arthur C. Clarke as a freelance reporter for The Sunday Times.
- As a panellist, took part in a public discussion/debate on the effects of the Internet in Sri Lanka.
- Part of a think tank group set up by the government to decide how to make use of or gain profit from the Internet.
- Panellist and speaker in a series of seminars conducted by Lanka Internet (an ISP) to popularize the Internet in Sri Lanka when it first appeared here.
- Conducted seminars for journalists. First was conducted by US personnel by the US Information Service (USIS) for Sri Lankan journalists - assistant. In the second, was a co-conductor and presenter for refresher for media personnel on the same subject. Both were for journalists to make them aware of resources available to journalists online for research and information gathering.
- Public speaking - appeared and talked about IT (information technology) education at various events and schools.
- Open Arc Computer School - talked to their prospective students on IT opportunities and the scope for IT education in Sri Lanka.